Mysterious Castle, a tactics roguelike

Feel free to post about any of the above topics.

Postby eclectocrat » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:34 am

Hey!

Big fan of KotC here, right now I'm stuck in the mountain pass where you fall down the pit and get surrounded by a ton of nasty leveled up Kobolds(?) or something.

I posting because I think that some KotC fans might appreciate my game Mysterious Castle. It's a graphical party based roguelike set in a forest. Basically, you've got a party of up to 3 characters and you fight random groups of bad guys, collect loot, and get more powerful. It's based (very) loosely on srd 3.5, so anyone who played D&D or KotC should figure it out without too much trouble. It's a work in progress but I think it's already pretty darn fun. You can get it for free on Windows/Mac at http://www.mysteriouscastle.com.

All constructive criticism welcome.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Jurksztowicz, aka eclectocrat

PS> Here are some elementals.

eclectocrat
Goblin (CR 1/3)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: Mysterious Castle, a tactics roguelike

Postby Demiath » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:38 pm

Yes, the neat turn-based combat system in Mysterious Castle is definitely worth checking out for fans of KOTC. Also, for those of us with iOS devices buying the iPhone version is a good way to support the further development of this promising and intriguing mix of party-based D&D-esque combat with roguelike world generation and exploration.
Demiath
Marilith (CR 17)
Master of the Magic Lens
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Postby deathknight1728 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:47 pm

eclectocrat wrote:Hey!

Big fan of KotC here, right now I'm stuck in the mountain pass where you fall down the pit and get surrounded by a ton of nasty leveled up Kobolds(?) or something.

I posting because I think that some KotC fans might appreciate my game Mysterious Castle. It's a graphical party based roguelike set in a forest. Basically, you've got a party of up to 3 characters and you fight random groups of bad guys, collect loot, and get more powerful. It's based (very) loosely on srd 3.5, so anyone who played D&D or KotC should figure it out without too much trouble. It's a work in progress but I think it's already pretty darn fun. You can get it for free on Windows/Mac at http://www.mysteriouscastle.com.

All constructive criticism welcome.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Jurksztowicz, aka eclectocrat

PS> Here are some elementals.
Hey man i played your game a bit and tried to get ahold of you. I was wondering if the next patch you make will help fix the basic glitches with the game interface. I had trouble once i played with basic moving/activating things in and out of combat. Im only asking as i really like your game, reminds me alot of hfGames. Thanks and if there is a better way of getting ahold of you, feel free to let me know.

-Dave
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby eclectocrat » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:12 am

Demiath wrote:Yes, the neat turn-based combat system in Mysterious Castle is definitely worth checking out for fans of KOTC. Also, for those of us with iOS devices buying the iPhone version is a good way to support the further development of this promising and intriguing mix of party-based D&D-esque combat with roguelike world generation and exploration.

Thanks for the endorsement! I'm really working hard on this little game, I hope some people enjoy it. KotC is a big inspiration to me, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I play it whenever I'm burnt out from programming, I've just about cleared the giant base out now.

deathknight1728 wrote:Hey man i played your game a bit and tried to get ahold of you. I was wondering if the next patch you make will help fix the basic glitches with the game interface. I had trouble once i played with basic moving/activating things in and out of combat. Im only asking as i really like your game, reminds me alot of hfGames. Thanks and if there is a better way of getting ahold of you, feel free to let me know.
-Dave

Thanks for trying the game Dave, there are various problems under windows right now. I only have two test systems to debug on, but I hope the next version addresses most of the bugs. The next version will allow you to select whether to use OpenGL or Directx, in the meanwhile you might try updating your OpenGL drivers and seeing if the game plays better.

If you want to get in touch you can use the 'ask a question' interface on www.mysteriouscastle.com, look at the right panel and there should be a link, as well as a link to the message boards. I'm not always available, but I try to get back to everyone who contacts me.
eclectocrat
Goblin (CR 1/3)
Knights of the Chalice

Return to About cRPGs, RPGs and fantasy books and films