Recommend a tactical rpg

Feel free to post about any of the above topics.

Recommend a tactical rpg

Postby deathknight1728 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:05 pm

Ive played temple of elemental evil and kotc, loved both. The problem is that simply, there are not many isometric roleplaying games like them. The only company that does make them, (spiderweb software), i have played to obscene, especially avadon, geneforge and avernum. Can anyone recommend me a game that is like those games mentioned. I love the isometric rpgs but am not a fan of rpgs without a story, otherwise i would be into action rpgs.
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Recommend a tactical rpg

Advert

Re: Recommend a tactical rpg

Postby Waterd103 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:23 am

I feel your pain, the number of Tactical RPG that I feel are good are on such low amount. I feel KOTC is probably the best, here is the list of TRPG I find enjoyable:

KoTC
Darksun shattered lands
Temple of elemental evil

Those 3 are the current best in my book despite all 3 have a mountain of flaws, but are probably the only ones I really enjoy from the genre

If you can deviate a little from the genere there are a few options.

Battle for wesnoth.
Final fantasy tactics series
Fire emblem series.

Then you have the bioware games that would be fine if it weren't for the 100% obnoxious "Real time with pause system" But i guess you know those because they are extremely popular.

I find spiderweb games awful, their UI is bad, the combat is grinding and most fights are about using the same tactics again and again, also a lot of meaningless fights.

If you know of good isometric turn based RPG party based games, let me know as It's one of my favorite types of games.
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby deathknight1728 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:16 am

Here you go my friend. If you can deal with the graphics (which i cant), natuk, nahlahk, pirates of the seas, and tower of darkness, all games 80 hours or more to complete (except tower). The only one you have to buy is natuk. http://www.proudft.com/pows.html

The games are based on d and d with a mix of fallout as you can aim at different body parts, feint, disarm, chant, hide, cast spells, 8 party members that YOU make. I would play it, but the graphics are really too bad for me. Still a good game though.
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Luminon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:59 pm

My best recommendation (besides Fallout Tactics and other games mentioned here) is Helherron.

It's a party-based graphical roguelike with turn-based combat. Lots and lots of combat. It's inspired by Natuk or Nahlakh, but I think much more pleasant to play, less clunky. It's all gore and loot! Despite the simple graphics the mechanics and tide of combat is somehow very satisfying. I have played it several times over. And when you win, you can play with only one character instead of 8, which is fun too and surprisingly even faster.
It's not an easy game in the beginning and the controls are a little clunky, but it's well worth to get into it. Just watch out for grid bugs or large hordes of skeletons, destroy them with mass wound spells, before they get to you and crash the game.
Try to get the 2.03 version instead of 2.04, 03 is less buggy.

Also you should play the old game Albion, get DosBox and enjoy, it has a wonderful unique world and story, besides the tactical RPG combat.
Luminon
Kuo-toa (CR 2)

Return to About cRPGs, RPGs and fantasy books and films