One of my favorite Tactical Games

Feel free to post about any of the above topics.

Postby deathknight1728 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:32 am

I dont know if any of you have played this as its realtime based, but i cant get enough of this game. Fallout tactics is so far my favorite tactical rpg game so far. I know that fallout 1 and 2 never got me interested but i found tactics to be my favorite and only playable fallout game. It is real time but theres just so much you can do in the game. You can ambush in almost thousands of ways, as its real time the tactics are unique. Using a branch of weapons isnt restricted. The only game so far (or unknown) that I think can beat this tactically in my book is KOTC 2.
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: One of my favorite Tactical Games

Postby quasimodo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:09 pm

I don't like RT games, but fortunately Fallout Tactics can also be played in TB mode. As a TB game it is good, but not a great game like Jagged Alliance 2, or KotC for that matter.

I think the problem is that in balancing the game to play in both RT and TB they skipped the high end tactical control and AI necessary to make a superior TB game.
quasimodo
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby deathknight1728 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:46 pm

i disagree. The merit of a great tactical game is what you can do and how many possibilities there are. Unfortunately, with kotc, there are only 3 classes. 1 is a fighter, another is a priest, and another's a mage. With just 3 classes, there are few possibilities. Fallout tactics is a classless system that allows for any class. Kotc has no stealth build or class, so when no finesse is available i cant really get into it. It'd be different if the ranger made an appearence, but whatever. Thats just my take on it.

The reason why jagged alliance 2 is not very great in my opinion is because it takes hours just to kill a few guys. You'll spend 100s of hours just to complete the game. Thats not really fun as i like my games to have a realistic amount of time.

Hopefully hfg will make this real time strategy have some rpg aspect of it, but either way kotc 2 will beat them all with possibilities, even said game i mentioned :)
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby quasimodo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Hmm....We must just agree to disagree. I have spent many hours trying to kill a few enemies in JA2 and I was on the edge of my seat at all times. I found the battles to be challenging and exciting.

With FO:T (in TB mode) I found the battles to be mostly predictable and not very challenging due to the uninspired enemy AI.
quasimodo
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby deathknight1728 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Jagged alliance 2 is a great game and in my opinion is one of the best tactical/strategy/roleplaying games out there. Things that i found frustrating for that mostly are just me, is the time limit. Like fallout 1, i tried to get used to having a time limit, but ultimately it never works as my nature has me exploring every part of the map, only to find out that i no longer have the money to pay my mercs. However, ive been reading up on jagged alliance 2 and the expansion pack is supposedly just like the original except without the time limit. Thats perfect for me as i found the game to be too difficult to keep track of when theres a time limit. I however am not going to play wildfire as i just read a review saying the battles are excruciatingly hard and long, two things that i cant live with. Mostly, im not the best at strategy/ tactical turnbased games, and games like wildfire are better avoided.

One game (or games) ive been trying to find out more about and whether they are worth it, is UFO: Aftermath, aftershock and afterlife. Someone made mention that they are fairly good tactical squad based minor-roleplaying games. Im still not sure though. Ill play the game if its like ja2 or fo tactics and is squadbased, but im not into building bases and other stuff like that. Does anyone know about those games and if they are worth it?

I dont know much about the great tactical strategy games of all time, i sometimes wished they would just upload xcom and a bunch of the others at gog so i can at least try it and not worry about the $5.99.
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby quasimodo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:18 am

I'm a little puzzled about your mention of a time limit in JA2. I've put hundreds of hours into this game and I don't remember any hard time limit. I've exhaustively explored every sector and never run out of time.

The UFO:After* games are pretty pure tactical squad games. Unlike the old XCOM games they don't have any strategic component (i.e. no base building). I didn't like the games much because they weren't TB. They were RTwP, and I really dislike any form of RT combat. Since you like FO: Tactics in RT mode you might really like them.
quasimodo
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby deathknight1728 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Oh cool, thanks for the tip. Yeah what i mean when i say time limit with jagged alliance, is that my mercs cost quite a bit of money and i eventually run out because eventually these bugs show up and kill everyone/take over the mines. I then would run out of money because once the bugs show up, the game is over as they are way too hard. I replayed the game numerous times and it was way too hard with time as the mercs leave if i cant pay them. If i played the game again, i might try it without scifi mode but even so the game is too hard for me, i suck at it :(
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby quasimodo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:55 pm

Yeah in JA2 the bugs will eventually show up. I get together a good squad together and go in after them. If you eliminate the queen the attacks stop.

As soon as you take over a town start training militia...They will help defend the town and keep morale up.

When you take over a town sector with a mine, talk to the head miner and you will get income. A town with high morale will give more money.

If you are short on cash to pay your team you can pick up a lot of loot in San Mona. There are several quests in San Mona:

Angel/Maria/Kyle quest will give $10,000

Boxing matches for money will give up to $25,000....just make sure you have some mercs with high HtH or martial arts skill.

You can also steal the Kingpins secret loot for another $20,000 or $30,000.

With all this and the mine income you will be in good shape.
quasimodo
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Mio » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:09 pm

ermm...tactical...well, it's not an rpg or I wouldn't call it so..warhammer 40k dawn of war 2...pure tactics...then goes blitzkrieg...even purer tactics....but those are strategies

among rpgs...let me think...dragon age and mass effect series I believe

there's one more thing. hit'n'slash....warriors orochi
Mio
Kobold (CR 1/4)

Return to About cRPGs, RPGs and fantasy books and films