Challenge Rating-An Idea

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Challenge Rating-An Idea

Postby deathknight1728 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:50 am

I was just starting up a party with knights of the chalice and I noticed something that I didn't notice before. Challenge rating. It seems that that's the best way of determining who in your party is more powerful and thus, more of a threat to the enemy.

I thought it would be cool if whoever in your party gets the most kills, gets a higher challenge rating and is thus weighted to be more deadly to enemies.

Its really just a novelty thing that I thought would be cool, its not big but might be fun to see which of your characters is more deadly. I usually know it in most games, but in games where you create a party in d and d, its more random.

Just a thought.
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Challenge Rating-An Idea

Advert

Re: Challenge Rating-An Idea

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:35 pm

whoever in your party gets the most kills, gets a higher challenge rating and is thus weighted to be more deadly to enemies
You mean the enemies should focus on that character?
Some games give data about which character has had the most kills, I think ToEE does that.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Dorateen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:29 pm

Wizardry 7 and 8 tracked monster kills.

Most Powerful Vanquished on a character sheet is always fun, too. Doesn't have to be tied to a game mechanic (like enemies targeting that character) but it's a nice feature.
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby deathknight1728 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:13 am

BlueSalamander wrote:
whoever in your party gets the most kills, gets a higher challenge rating and is thus weighted to be more deadly to enemies
You mean the enemies should focus on that character?
Some games give data about which character has had the most kills, I think ToEE does that.

No, I am misunderstood. What I am trying to say is this-

If you have a party of 1 warrior, 1 rogue, 1 priest and 1 mage, the person with the most kills will be labeled as the most deadly. This is cool because it would mean that if that 1 character had a small difference of kills between the other character who was similar, then nothing is weird. But if 1 character really had a much higher number and was considered more deadly, you would know why. It probably sounds dumb, but I thought it might be useful.

Sorry.
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:02 am

Yes, it's a nice feature to track monster kills and most-powerful-vanquished. How do you determine the most powerful vanquished monster though?
Challenge rating may not be enough because a basic wizard of level 10 would get the same rating as a huge strength-based boss creature of CR 10.
Perhaps in some modules NPCs could adjust what they say (who becomes champion) on the basis of each character's number of kills in the last battle or since the beginning.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:39 am

BlueSalamander wrote:Yes, it's a nice feature to track monster kills and most-powerful-vanquished. How do you determine the most powerful vanquished monster though?

Good question. In BG2 the "most powerful foe vanquished" stat was fairly accurate. I think it just relied on the XP you got for the kill. Since all XP gains were static, e.g. Kangaxx would always give 65K XP, no matter what your level or party size was, usually the big boss type creatures would end up in the statistic.
In IWD2 it apparently became more complicated since your XP gains depended on your level, for instance with a smaller party you would level up faster, only to enter the next area and hardly (if at all) getting XP for your kills. Some people reported they had "support beam" as their most powerful vanquished foe for the rest of the game. (you had to destroy some support beams early in the game at shengarn bridge)
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Some people reported they had "support beam" as their most powerful vanquished foe
:D But it was a mighty support beam... Fixed XP is one of the things I liked better in the 2nd edition. In 3rd edition the XP for a character depends on the character's level, the monster's CR and how many party members there are. There's a big table of XP awards according to character level and monster CR in the Dungeon Master's Guide. So when you fight a group you have to check the table for each monster, and also for each character if they have different levels. I guess for a pen and paper game Microsoft Excel would come in handy at the end of fights.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Return to Ideas for KotC 2