Is this game ever on sale?

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Postby Borsook » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:15 am

I understand that not liking steam for some reason your audience is very small, but still this game is unbelievably expensive (e.g. I bought Civ 5 for 25% of this price) so my question is - are there any e.g. seasonal sales for this game e.g. christmas?
Borsook
Ettin (CR 6)

Advert

Re: Is this game ever on sale?

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi Borsook, yes, there was a Christmas discount once.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Void1984 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Don't wait for a sale, as it's a best ADnD slasher game with no competition, sans ToEE.
Void1984
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Borsook » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Void1984 wrote:Don't wait for a sale, as it's a best ADnD slasher game with no competition, sans ToEE.

It is impressive. But I have to budget. And btw it's 4 times as expensive as ToEE
Borsook
Ettin (CR 6)

Postby Waterd103 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:23 pm

I'm not sure about his business decision, but I think it's based on, the kind of people that would enjoy his game, are so desesperate for a game like this, since there are zero on the market that they would pay high price, I would have even paid way higher with no regrets. And he needs to charge high because his audience is so small...sadly :(
There is no competition on the market, the only true "competitors" of the history of video RPG, are Toee and Darksun. And I think both were outclassed here.
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby mattresses » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:45 am

Civilization V is a terrible game made by a company that can afford to cut it's price down to nothing 2 years after release, TOEE was released a decade ago by a company that is now bankrupt. I don't really see the problem with the pricing, honestly. You're getting a bit of a deeper game experience with KotC than some indie shovelware like Braid.
mattresses
Goblin (CR 1/3)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Borsook » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:27 am

mattresses wrote:Civilization V is a terrible game made by a company that can afford to cut it's price down to nothing 2 years after release, TOEE was released a decade ago by a company that is now bankrupt. I don't really see the problem with the pricing, honestly. You're getting a bit of a deeper game experience with KotC than some indie shovelware like Braid.

I'm glad you're a fan of this game, which after playing the demo does look interesting. But I don't think diminishing the accomplishments of others makes the game seem better. The game is not expensive because it's better than e.g. Braid, but because it is hard to find and obtain and hence only a small number of people buy it. To compare to something similar - have a look at prices of e.g. Avadon and other Spiderware games before and after going on steam. Also - this game is priced in pounds which is a huge difference when compared to other currencies. :)
Borsook
Ettin (CR 6)

Postby mattresses » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:45 am

Borsook wrote:The game is not expensive because it's better than e.g. Braid, but because it is hard to find and obtain and hence only a small number of people buy it. To compare to something similar - have a look at prices of e.g. Avadon and other Spiderware games before and after going on steam. Also - this game is priced in pounds which is a huge difference when compared to other currencies. :)

I'm not saying it's more expensive because it's a better game, but that it's worth the price compared to cheaper, lighter gameplay experiences. Vogel's games cost about the same as KotC on Steam, and KotC isn't on Steam. Before going to Steam, Spiderweb's games really were ridiculously expensive, though.

I agree that pricing in pounds is probably the wrong approach, I know I still instinctively grab my wallet whenever I see a "£".
mattresses
Goblin (CR 1/3)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Borsook » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:00 am

mattresses wrote:
Borsook wrote:The game is not expensive because it's better than e.g. Braid, but because it is hard to find and obtain and hence only a small number of people buy it. To compare to something similar - have a look at prices of e.g. Avadon and other Spiderware games before and after going on steam. Also - this game is priced in pounds which is a huge difference when compared to other currencies. :)

I'm not saying it's more expensive because it's a better game, but that it's worth the price compared to cheaper, lighter gameplay experiences. Vogel's games cost about the same as KotC on Steam, and KotC isn't on Steam. Before going to Steam, Spiderweb's games really were ridiculously expensive, though.

I agree that pricing in pounds is probably the wrong approach, I know I still instinctively grab my wallet whenever I see a "£".

Nope. check your facts. :) Avadon is 6.99 euro on Steam (and if you wait you'll get -75% sale) and Kotc is 14.95 POUNDS. Both being indie, same genre, Avadon a bit longer I think.
Borsook
Ettin (CR 6)

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG