Ultimate Ironman challenge

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Postby Waterd103 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:11 am

After Kotc I just can't enjoy other CRPG and I want to play one so I come back to KOTC while i wait for chaos chronicle and KOTC2.
I will try a new challenge which is the following, if someone else tries I'm interested to read logs to compare what or how we did things.
Notice that I think the previous challenge is interesting even for someone that doesn't know the game, and I still suggest to try it even with low knowledge of the game. This one though is intended for someone like me that went from start to finish the game at least once as it contains some spoilers. Here is a link to the previous one: http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=334#p3488.

-Ironman mode
-Char creation: No Reroll but allowed to cancel to go back and change other things. Chars can be rerolled if they have 73 points or less before the last reroll and must be rerolled if they have 85+ after the final reroll.
-Only 1 Cleric.
-1 Use per campfire
-No Crafting Whatsoever. (So no share spells)
-Default Gameplay based settings (except, no world encounters or monster respawn.)
-NPC clerics healing can only be used on Chars with permanent negative effects.
-Can only buy 1 scroll of each infinite stack NPC clerics have (if 1 of those scrolls is bought, we have to buy 1 scroll of each infinite statck of that NPC cleric) from the following spells:
Cure light wounds, Cure moderate wounds, Cure Serious wounds.
-Can't sell non-gem and non-magical items.

I will try it and report my experience.

I will stream myself doing this and save the streams, just as an experiment I do not know how it will work out. http://es.twitch.tv/waterd103
Last edited by Waterd103 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: Ultimate Ironman challenge

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:33 pm

Sounds like an interesting challenge to me.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Waterd103 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:35 pm

in 25 minutes I will start streaming my run on my channel, in case you want to look, I will leave the recording saving if you want to see in the future, I do not expect much people to go all through it, and in fact if you wait other day you can go to any part of video if you want to see a specific fight etc. Also my english and my voice are terrible so you may want to mute me.

If I lose early on, I will restart, if I lose later on, I will probably stop and do it again another day.
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Waterd103 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:45 pm

I did 3 runs, the first two ended in the orc assault. The last ended in the ambush when you leave the fortress. That fight is so hard with only level 10, and is where the lack of 2 clerics start to feel. I do not know when I will try again, I think it's the worse fight to have 2 wizards because they are dead before they even think.

Wow I reviewed the last fight where I lose, I played so bad...
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Waterd103 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:28 am

Ok my 4th run ended in the slaver lords, I still do not adapt to the shift of strategies to 2 wizards. I must understand that with 2 wizard, they are the damage and not the front knight. I lost in a funny way, I spent a lot of turns to transform my knight in a killing machine and created a stone wall to protect the rest of the team... DISPEL. Everthing went to to hell. I was so shocked that didn't realize that my cleric was too low, didn't heal, and he died, and the rest is history.

I will start a 5th run (hopefully the one that will do):
I was never offered the dialogue option to join the slavers. Can you explain who i have to talk with and in what order to trigger that fight?

What are my options against nausea?
What are my options if i was feebleminded?
What's the best weapon with double vs charging in the game? I do not remember what you can find.
Salamander always recommend two light weapons for dual wielding fighters, but isn't only one light weapon in the off-hand enough to minimize the penalties?
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 am

I was never offered the dialogue option to join the slavers. Can you explain who i have to talk with and in what order to trigger that fight?
You just have to talk to the commander of the guards in the room left of the prison cells. Say that you're looking for the Slaver Lords, then say that you want to join them as bodyguards.

To remove nausea or feeblemind, you need a Heal or a Dispel.

The best spear would be one that you would craft, I guess.

One light weapon in off-hand is enough to get the minimum penalty of -1/-1. Using the same type of light weapon in both hands gives you the benefit of weapon specialization feats on both hands without needing feats for each weapon type.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Waterd103 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:45 am

I guess I can't fight anything before meeting the commander of guards? which means I have to present the letter and pay the 5kg to the guy in the streets that tell me I didn't act according to the law or something?
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:07 pm

Mmm, no, I think you can do all the other fights and you'll still get the dialogue, as long as you don't release the prisoners.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Waterd103 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:17 am

I will start my 5th run, but changed the "hardest fight dialogue" option, just because I failed multiple times to remember what leads to a harder fight, and I don't want to be keeping track of that, just having to keep track of what fireplaces I used it's annoying.
So I removed that rule.

I will also do an exception to the 1 cleric rule and instead play 4 clerics!. Mostly inspired by the other thread where i claimed 4 clerics can finish the game. I think that not only can they finish the game in ironman, but they can finish the game in my ironman challenge with all the limitations that it involves. So I will see if i can pull it off!
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Waterd103 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:33 pm

I will start streaming now and maybe update when i start. Though it will probably be boring since i won't talk most likely. I just stream in case somewhat is curious about my tactics on any particular fight or anything, the videos will be saved on the channel for 30 days or so in case you want to go to any point and check what i do.
Having said that, I may just die on the first fight , he orc attack, (that is a very though fight!). If i die very early I will do 1 or two more antempts, if i die later I many not try again, will see.
http://www.twitch.tv/Waterd103
WOW: I exited and forgot to save....nicely done.
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Next

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG