World Map, Items, Dialogue Screen, Script Actions

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Re: World Map, Items, Dialogue Screen, Script Actions

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:53 pm

O.k. so here's the system I've been thinking about.

First you have generic skills. Each class has at least one generic skill. They cover multiple areas, meaning that it's not too hard to find uses for them. They are:

[Nature] Ranger and Druid only. Includes herbalism, tracking, animal handling, wilderness survival, geography, geology, monster identification.

[Healing] Cleric and Druid only. Includes medicine, curing, potions, diseases, poisons, antidotes.

[Arcana] Wizard and Sorcerer only. Includes detect magic, spells, runes, symbols, rituals, secret codes, ancient books, ancient languages.

[Religion] Cleric and Monk only. Includes detect evil, detect undead, gods, demons, churches, sects, temples, monasteries, history, the planes.

[Warrior] Fighter and Barbarian only. Includes athletics, climbing, swimming, jumping, riding, jousting, break open doors and chests, appraise weapon and armour, legendary weapons and armour, metals, intimidation, leadership, marshalling.

[Assassin] Death Knight and Rogue only. Includes critical strikes, anatomy, vital spots, autopsy, inflict pain.

[Psionics] Psionicist and Psychic Warrior only. Includes telekinetics, telepathy, lie detection, mental suggestion, mind manipulation.

[Streetwise] Rogue and Bard only. Includes bluff, sense motive, gather information, appraise, bargaining, underground factions, criminal organisations.

[Word of Honour] Paladin only. Includes honour, oaths, rules, nobility, royal families, elicit trust, diplomacy.

Then you have additional skills which are more limited in their application and are restricted to one class or one race. Here is a non-exhaustive list:

[Monk Diamond Body] includes poison detection and poison neutralisation.
[Druid Clairvoyance] includes conversing with animals, conversing with stones.
[Bard Charm] includes charming an NPC of the opposite gender, elicit courage.
[Bard Perform] includes singing, playing instruments and telling stories. Requires a musical instrument in the inventory.
[Bard Knowledge] includes knowledge of legends, heroes, famous warriors, artefacts.
[Rogue Search] includes searching for secret doors and secret buttons.
[Rogue Open Lock] includes lock picking and disarming. Requires thieves' tools in the inventory.
[Rogue Stealth] includes stealthy movement and hiding.
[Rogue Pick Pocket] includes stealing, sleight of hand, spot sleight of hand.
[Rogue Deception] includes forgery and disguise.
[Half Giant] includes picking up, pushing and moving extremely heavy items.
[Small Size] includes gaining access to tunnels that are too narrow for bigger races.
[Dwarf Sense] includes detect sliding stone walls, detect gold, appraise gems.

How does that sound?
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Advert

Postby Tiavals » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:47 pm

Sounds very good to me.

There are a few strange parts, like Rangers not being able to Stealth(unless it's a separate additional class skill like of the Rogue. Like Ranger stealth only works outside and Rogue stealth in cities) or Paladin's not detecting evil(since no Religion), but they're minor things. Overall I'd say it looks pretty great.
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby screeg » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:52 pm

It seems sensible. Will skills like detect sliding stone walls be passive? What about sense motive? I personally prefer if when negotiating something (like prices with a merchant), the game defaults to the person with barter. It's always been a problem in games like Baldur's Gate and ToEE where the party is surprised by a dialogue encounter (not necessarily intended as a "surprise") and whoever was standing closest, or first in the formation, ends up speaking for everyone instead of your mouthpiece character. But it's especially painful to have to switch party members when buying/selling to get good prices.

I still wish you would break the (now decades long) trend and call the class "Thief" instead of "Rogue". Rogue sounds wishy-washy, like you couldn't use the word thief cuz your mom would get offended and forbid you to play D&D.
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:41 pm

Will skills like detect sliding stone walls be passive? What about sense motive? I personally prefer if when negotiating something (like prices with a merchant), the game defaults to the person with barter.
The skills will give you extra dialogue options. You won't have to click a button to activate them, you just select the appropriate dialogue option. You will have all the dialogue options, no matter which character is talking.

Thief/Rogue, yeah, it doesn't matter to me. Thief sounds more like a full-time burglar, but the characters are more like dungeon raiders than common burglars.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby math0ne » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:17 pm

Another great update man, cant wait for this!
math0ne
Griffon (CR 4)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:17 pm

Thanks! I'm working on the combat system now, but it's complicated and very tedious work. Lots and lots of code to add without a visual feedback for me. Because combat won't work until I recreate most of the code from KotC.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby gungnirs » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:28 am

I thought adventure choice and consequence design will like KOTC origin, but skill system is beyond my image. It's really great.

keep working man, I'm eagerly to buy it;)

btw, you should start a kickstarter or greenlight project for more fund or feedback.
gungnirs
Centaur (CR 3)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi guys, happy Easter!

I'm not quite ready to do a full-fledged update, but at the same time I don't want people to think I'm only twiddling my thumbs, so here's a screenshot of the combat interface. In the picture, the Balor has reach, meaning it threatens all squares within 10 feet rather than 5 feet. All creatures of large size and bigger have reach.

You can also see in the screenshot that I have yet to fill up the panel for combat actions on the top-left side of the screen. That's where you can select things like Five-foot step, Ready versus spell, etc. On the top-right side of the screen, I have added the initiative list using pictures rather than names. Clicking on someone in the initiative list centres the screen onto that creature or character.

(Click on the picture to enlarge)

As in KotC 1, green arrows mean that you can move with a single move action, while yellow arrows mean that you need to take two move actions. Crossed swords mean that your movement path is going to trigger an attack of opportunity. Red highlights are squares threatened by the enemy while green highlights are squares threatened by allied units. The combat log is displayed at the bottom of the screen.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Tiavals » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:04 pm

Looks reasonable enough.

I wonder if it'd clutter the screen too much to add some basic information on the lower left box that holds HP and so on, like putting the CR/HD of the creature, perhaps alignment and whether it's an Outsider or Undead or such.
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:10 pm

Sounds doable. I'll think about it, thank you.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas for KotC 2