August 2018 Update, the Light at the End of the Dungeon?

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:37 pm

Hello everyone, here is the promised August update on the development of Knights of the Chalice 2.

I call this update the 'Light at the End of the Dungeon' because it's the first time that the game is virtually feature complete! And that is a great relief to me. First, let's review the main things that were added since the last update. Secondly, we will have a look at some Necromancer Class design ideas. The Necromancer and Summoner are two possible Kickstarter Stretch Goals for the KotC 2 Kickstarter expected in November 2018. Thirdly, we will have an in-depth look at the beginning of the prologue adventure, called Augury of Chaos. I expect that it will be too big to be a free demo, particularly if it comes with the Module Editor. It will be a good stand-alone prologue adventure. Warning: if you want to avoid spoilers, then you should not read the content of the dialogue screens posted below. Finally, we will talk a little bit about what's next.

KotC 2 Recent Additions and Improvements

* All voice effects were implemented. They include 470 voice clips, half male, half female. Each time the character says something, the corresponding text is displayed as a bubble text over the talking character. As a result of the implementation of voice effects, I've had to upgrade the Options Screen to add two sliders: Voice Effects Volume and Voice Effects Frequency. Please see below the image of the Options Screen (click on a picture to enlarge it). I'm also adding an image of the Formation Screen, which you can use to set your party's walking formation and make characters active or inactive, and a picture of the Script Editor box used to enter an 'If Answer Is' script command. The script editor image shows how easy it is to check for dialogue answers: you just select an answer in the drop-down box, as the editor already knows what answers you're offering to the player.

Image Image Image

* All important magic items have been implemented. Of course, I've had to scrap the implementation of some items that I thought would be too time-consuming to implement. But we still have a good item selection now, much bigger than the limited number of items available in KotC 1. As well as the traditional and well-liked KotC 1 magic items, we now have the following:

Many magic musical instruments; magic fruit; magic plants; magic acorns; magic helms like the Helm of Clear Thought which grants immunity to Stunning; magic crowns like the Crown of the Archmage which grants additional spell slots; magic necklaces that allow you to cast Fireball as a Spell-Like Ability; many magical amulets that grant various immunities, or abilities like Darkvision, or a continuous Protection from Evil effect; magic Bracers of Impact that increase your weapon's critical multiplier; Bracers of Tripping; Bracers of Push; Bags of Holding; magic potions and scrolls; ingots used in weapon and armour crafting; diamonds used for weapon and armour enchantments;

Various cloaks and mantles including the Fog Cloak, Cloak of Flames and a cloak that grants the effect of Globe of Invulnerability; Circlets of the Healer; Boots of Stomping; Boots of Perfect Balance; Boots that make you immune to the effect of Web spells and boots that grant a continuous Haste effect; many magic belts that grant a variety of bonuses for fighting or casting; a Belt of Giant Size; a Belt of the Lion which grants the Pounce ability; a Belt of the Rogue that increases Sneak Attack damage; a Belt of Battle Skill which upgrades your Base Attack Bonus from low to medium, or from medium to high; Rings of Elemental Summoning; Rings of Energy Containment; Rings that grant a Spell Resistance bonus; Rings that provide Damage Reduction; Rings that grant you Greater Invisibility; a Ring of Free Action that grants a continuous Freedom of Movement effect; Rings of the Destroyer that increase your damage rolls and Rings of Life that increase your Hit Points.

In addition, we now have a collection of magic robes and vests that can be worn by characters who do not have any Armour Proficiency. They include Vests of Vitality; Robes of Defence; the Robe of Eyes; Robes that increase your psionic power points; Robes that grant Spell Resistance; Tunics of Concentration; Robes that grant Damage Reduction; the Robe of the Acolyte; the Lesser and Greater Robe of the Battlemage and the Robe of the Archmage.

* The Paladin class illustration was recently improved, please see http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/PngImages/Paladin.png

* All Bardic sound clips were implemented. They are bardic music snippets that are played whenever a Bard uses a Bard Song or Bard Spell. When a Bard has a musical instrument equipped in the Arms slot, all his sound clips are played using the correct instrument type: Bagpipe, Harp, Lute or Flute. Equipped musical instruments can provide benefits such as an increase in an ability score, an increase in damage rolls, an increase in Hit Points, an increase in Saving Throws, an increase in Armour Class, or the ability to cast a Wizard spell as a Spell-Like Ability. In addition, all Bagpipes increase the Pipes of Pain radius by five feet, all Harps empower the Healing Song effect (+50%) and the Dancing Rhyme Saving Throw Difficulty Class by one point, all Flutes increase the Cursed Dirge effect from four points to six points and the area of effect of Zone of Silence by five feet, and all Lutes increase the Heavenly Melody maximum number of affected Hit Dice by two points and the Aria of Chaos Difficulty Class by one point.

* I have expanded the Skill system a bit. Please visit http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Pages/FWE_Skills.htm and scroll down to the bottom of the page to read about the new skills. Together with this improvement, I have improved the Add Dialogue Answer script command greatly.

Here is the template of this command: Add dialog answer ~ with text colour ~ and set the answer as ~ requiring the party skill ~ or gold ~ or item(s) ~ or companion ~ or variable ~ equal/above/below ~ or achievement ~ or quest ~ and save the skilled character's name into the variable ~ and save the selected status of this answer into the variable ~. Each tilde symbol (~) represents a data field, which you can either fill up or leave blank.

The first tilde is for the answer text, for example: '[Word of Honour] I solemnly pledge my life and my sword to you, my Lord. I shall defend the Kingdom tirelessly as your loyal Knight. This I swear in good faith and upon my honour.'

With the third tilde, you can specify one of the following, by selecting in a drop-down box: "Selectable", "Non-Selectable", "Non-Selectable if the required skill is not available to the party or gold is insufficient", "Non-Selectable if party lacks the skill or Skip display if answer was selected before (requires saving status)", "Skip display if the required skill is not available to the party or gold is insufficient" and "Skip display if answer was selected before (requires saving the status into a variable)".

Most of the other fields are used to specify a requirement for this dialogue answer to be selectable by the player. The command can also be used to hide answers that the player has already selected. This is useful when the player is allowed to ask many questions to an NPC. As the player selects his first questions, the list of remaining available questions shrinks, displaying only the questions that have yet to be asked by the player.

The nice thing about this command is that it allows the module creator to offer 'skilled' dialogue options easily and have the game display those dialogue answers as non-selectable if the player's party does not include a character that meets the skill requirement. This is all done in a single script line. By displaying non-selectable options, we inform the player that there is extra content that the player may be interested in, if he later starts over with a different party composition. Non-selectable options are displayed in a different colour, normally purple.

* I have added a beautiful four-minute medieval tavern soundtrack from Robbie. It's so beautiful that the track will be used as default dialogue soundtrack. You can turn off the default dialogue music in the game options. I have also added a second tavern soundtrack of two minutes from Robbie, a nature/bird soundtrack, and a bunch of new ambient effects and creature sound effects.

* I recently added four new subraces: the Mul Human, Half-Elf Human, Caravaner Mantis and Guardian Half-Giant. Please see http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Pages/FWE_Subraces.htm for details.

* A good number of AI and Editor bugs were fixed. The AI was improved. For example, it will not charge through dangerous squares like brazier squares or a wall of fire. I've also reviewed all of my notes to see if there was anything important that I forgot about. I've improved the graphical appearance of the combat-log box (please see combat screenshots below). And I have updated the Credits screen and help entry to comply with the attribution licence of certain graphical and sound elements used in KotC 2.

* On the Steam front, I'm happy to report that I've finally got my own EIN (Employer Identification Number) from the US IRS. This is needed when a developer wants to start selling games on Steam. Hopefully, I'll be able to join Steam without too much difficulty in coming months, after I have released my new Youtube videos for KotC 1 and the prologue module of KotC 2. I wonder if I will have to pay the Steam self-publishing fee for each KotC 2 module, or just once?

Necromancer Class Design Ideas

I already talked about the Summoner Class and Necromancer Class in the July 2018 Update forum thread. The main idea with both classes is that they will have the ability to bring in a new Party Member with interesting powers. The Summoner will bring in Permanent Summons while the Necromancer will bring in permanent Undead Servants.

Here are some further design ideas for the Necromancer. I expect that both the Summoner and the Necromancer will have a D6 Hit Die and a low Base Attack Bonus. While the Summoner will receive the same Cure Wounds spells as the Druid, the Necromancer will have access to the Cleric's entire line of Inflict Wounds and Harm spells, including Mass Harm. Necromancer Class feats may include Empowered Inflict Wounds, Maximised inflict Wounds and Inflict Wounds Improved Reach. Both the Necromancer and the Summoner will have access to the Mass Summoning feat and Greater/Epic Mass Summoning feat.

The Necromancer will have access to at least one offensive damage spell - cone, circle or single-target spell - at every spell level from 1 to 9. One of the level-1 spells will be Death Bolt, a ranged-touch spell dealing 1d6 points of negative-energy damage per level to a living target in medium range. A Fortitude saving throw halves the damage. With the Class feat Improved Death Bolt, the range of your Death Bolt spells increases from medium to long, and targets who fail on their Fortitude saving throw receive a single negative level that disappears upon resting. The Necromancer will have access to Vampiric Ray as a level-2 spell, Vampiric Cone (a new level-4 spell) and Vampiric Blast as a level-6 spell. The spell list will also include spells like Ray of Frost, Ice Blast, Ice Lance, Ice Storm, Cone of Cold, Freezing Sphere, Polar Ray, Disintegrate and Greater Disintegrate. Defensive spells may include Turn Undead Ward, Life Ward and False Life, while control spells may include Halt Undead, Control Undead and Dominate Undead.

Necromancers are automatically attuned to Nocturnis, the Black Moon. They have access to the Path to Lichdom transformation option just like Black Wizards - but without any Experience Point cost.

Necromancers may have a Death Touch Spell-Like Ability similar to the one gained from the Cleric's Death Domain Power.

Now the most interesting potential feature of the Necromancer may be the following: he will have the [Necromancy] skill. Used in certain dialogues at the end of combat, this skill will allow the Necromancer to turn a slain humanoid enemy into an Undead slave, who will join the party as a permanent companion. Aside from end-of-combat dialogues, the skill could also be used through a dialogue displayed when you examine a humanoid corpse. For example, maybe you're supposed to bring back the corpse of a Bandit Leader to the bailiff for a reward. But instead you choose to turn the corpse into a permanent, powerful Undead Servant. The dialogue options will specify what kind of Undead creature will be created, such as a Vampire. Selecting the option will add the creature as a new Party Member and the new companion may have its own dialogue and special knowledge, which may later be helpful to the party.

I don't have much to add concerning the Summoner, though I think he will have good banishment spells, as he should be good at summoning and dismissing enemy summons and outsiders. The spell list may also include Control Summon, Control Outsider, Dominate Summon and Dominate Outsider.

An in-depth look into the beginning of the Prologue Module, Augury of Chaos

For testing purposes, I created a new party comprising the following:

- Ghorda the Samurai. She's a Guardian Half-Giant. Strength 20, Dexterity 10, Constitution 12, Intelligence 8, Wisdom 16, Charisma 9.

- Griswack the Bard. He's a Hill Dwarf. Strength 18, Dexterity 14, Constitution 15, Intelligence 12, Wisdom 10, Charisma 12.

- Sistan the Cleric. He's a Lightfoot Halfling. Strength 7, Dexterity 18, Constitution 14, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 20, Charisma 14. Domain Powers Flux and Justice.

- Xifralia the Green Wizard (Transmuter). She's a High Elf. Strength 6, Dexterity 16, Constitution 12, Intelligence 20, Wisdom 11, Charisma 16. Green Moon attunement. Owl Familiar. Special feat Green Wizard Quick Casting.

- Haphel the Bishop. He's a Fire Drake. Strength 20, Dexterity 12, Constitution 10, Intelligence 9, Wisdom 10, Charisma 14. Special feat Cone Breath Weapon. Domain Powers Turning and Paralysis.
Small spoiler, highlight to display: the Turning Domain Power can be used as a skill in the prologue adventure.

Here are some character screenshots (click on any picture below to enlarge it):
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Here are the screenshots showing the very beginning of the prologue adventure. I'm also adding a screenshot showing the 'Highlight Activable Objects' function: by pressing the Tab key, you can highlight all visible objects that may be operated, examined or opened. Of course, a similar tab-highlight function was available in Baldur's Gate 2. In KotC 2, a green transparent rectangle appears over activable objects. Also, in the fifth and sixth pictures below, a Search check is conducted. When dialogue is displayed, clicking on a check result opens up a screen showing the list of modifiers applying to that check result (please see the sixth picture).
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

In the following screenshots, the party examines human remains on the floor. If the party includes a Cleric, Bishop or Monk, you can select the [Religion] dialogue option. A Ghost will then appear and talk to the party. Click on the following images if you want to find out what the ghost says.
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

The following screenshots show the various options offered to the party in order to deal with a lowered portcullis that prevents the party from moving forward. If the player cannot select a 'skilled' option, then a Strength check will be conducted. Importantly, a failed ability check does not always mean that the party has failed to do something! In the present situation, there are three possible outcomes:

- Player has access to a skilled option: the party lifts the portcullis gracefully, so party members make no noise and they avoid the arrival of new monsters.

- Player uses Strength check and succeeds: the party lifts the portcullis with some difficulty. A single monstrous centipede drops from the ladder into the room and attacks.

- Player uses Strength check and fails: the party lifts the portcullis with great difficulty. Two monstrous centipedes drop from the ladder into the room and attack.

Also, failing something does not always mean that you are worse off. In the present situation, the first centipede that arrives recently swallowed a black Onyx gem worth about 70 gold coins. So if you have to battle the centipedes, you get extra Experience Points, plus you can loot a gem that may be used in the next room (it can be sold and it can be used in a more creative way, read on to find out how).
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

The following screenshots show the dialogue that appears after you've opened the portcullis. They also include Combat screenshots, the Victory screen and Inventory screen:
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

In the following screenshots, the party moves forward after the battle. The player characters now face a closed door. Many 'skilled' options are offered here (please see the third image below). Of course, whenever you select a skilled option, you are awarded some Experience Points and the party gets some extra information. At this point in the adventure, you can choose to slam the door open and attack, thus benefiting from a surprise round against the occupants of the next room. Or you can choose to enter peacefully, thus leading the party to start talks with the occupants of the room. The sixth screenshot below shows the various dialogue options given to the party once dialogue begins with the bad guys who occupy that room. The bad guys want the party to show the insignia demonstrating that the party belongs to the same faction. That insignia is a Black Rose.
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

The following screenshots show some extra dialogue screens. I mentioned the Onyx gem earlier. Well, if you have a Psionicist, Psychic Warrior or Warlock in the party, you can enter the cultist's mind and present any dark object in replacement for the expected Black Rose, allowing you to become a member of their group, at least for now. After you choose the [Psionics] skilled dialogue option, the party's Inventory screen is displayed and the player has to select an object to present to the cultist. You can either select the Onyx gem or a Rock that was lying in the corridor. That rock can also be used as a bludgeoning weapon.

Once you are accepted by the cultists, you can learn more about the place and what's happening, and you can start trading. If you trade, you can acquire a unique Flail called +1 Hell Grinder. This item is not dropped if you simply kill the cultists outright. But you can still kill them after you've finished trading. ;)

The last screenshot below shows that you can receive extra Experience Points if you manage to defeat the cultists without the alarm getting triggered by them. As always in KotC 2, even if you fail to stop the cultists from triggering the alarm, something good may happen to you. Maybe there will be more enemies, maybe there will be better loot, maybe there will be more experience points. Essentially, I would like all possible outcomes to be interesting to the player, so that there is no need and no reason to reload just because the party has failed a check, or failed to accomplish something.
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Now, the party moves on to the inner sanctum where a dark ceremony is about to take place. Read the dialogue screens below if you would like to find out what happens during the ceremony.
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

I took the following screenshots from the Module Editor, as I am still working on those maps. The second screenshot below is the Water Shrine cave, reached by diving into the purification pool. The four last screenshots are the Sewers underneath the village of Finchbury.
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Okay, sounds good, so what's next?

Well, I'm planning to use the next 40 to 50 days to pack as much interesting content as possible into the prologue adventure, Augury of Chaos.

My next updates will probably be smaller: I will make a small update when my KotC 2 Features and Screenshots web pages are released, and another small update when my new Youtube videos for both KotC 2 and KotC 1 are released.

Now, a little bit about my personal life: I'm going through a difficult time financially. So I'm surviving just by eating roots - figuratively and literally: ginger and turmeric roots - and I am putting a whole lot of hope in the upcoming Kickstarter for KotC 2.

So, while I keep working very hard on KotC 2, please do your best to promote KotC 1 and advertise the Kickstarter expected to come in November 2018.

Also, I want to say 'thank you for your continuing support' to everyone who bought KotC 1, and a **REALLY BIG** thank you especially to repeat buyers: please let me tell you that your contribution is not going unnoticed, and it is helping me a lot in this development effort! I want to make the best game I can make, and YOU are really helping me do it. Much appreciated!!

Thank you for reading! All comments are welcome. Farewell for now, worthy adventurers, and please stay tuned! :-)
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Advert

Re: August 2018 Update, the Light at the End of the Dungeon?

Postby Sitra Achara » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:11 pm

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'll gladly buy another copy of kotc, or if you have paypal just send it to you directly, whichever you prefer.
Sitra Achara
Kuo-toa (CR 2)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Postby getter77 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:36 pm

Quite an update indeed---though I too harbor many concerns over your health for how close things seem to be cutting it even if there's the slightest sense of embellishment...there's burning the candle from both ends in an effort to get something done to some standard you won't regret, but this seems dangerously close to chucking the thing into a roaring brazier.

Not be a broken record, but while fortunes hopefully continue to improve on Steam and GoG---definitely, definitely try to get in on(should be virtually guaranteed as the process is as open as it gets and has no fees) itch.io as well for another at least relatively major avenue.
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:15 am

Hello Sitra Achara and getter77, thank you very much for your support and concern!

Sure, I can receive donations on my Paypal account: pierre_begue (at) yahoo.com. It's very kind of you and I really appreciate it. :)

All purchases and all donations really help.

I don't think I've ever received a donation directly to my Paypal account, so I'm not sure if Paypal would take the exact same fee as when someone buys from my website.

getter77 wrote:I too harbor many concerns over your health
Thank you Brian. I'm a health nut, so please don't worry. Keeping in good health is my top priority each and every day. :-)

For example, I wouldn't reduce my daily physical exercise just because I would like to work more on something. My health is good. It's only my standard of living that has gone down tremendously. :D

I hear you on itch.io. For now, though, I want to focus on producing more content for the prologue adventure.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Marinx » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:02 am

Wow!!! This is an awesome update Pierre. Glad to see you are making a great progress.

Just yesterday I get an idea. What do you think about doing a couple of more "keywords" for dialogs checks? These keywords would be about character background and personality which players will choose at the character creation.
Something like it's done in Divinity: Original Sin 2.
In D: OS 2this tags are background based, but I think it would be nicer to also have personality traits so you can be "in character" during gameplay. Something like "Greedy", "Arrogant", etc.
But I presume this is quite a work to implement, and then quite a work to script in modules.

I don't know if this already has been discussed, but I'll mention just in case. While working on the module in the editor, it would be nice to have an option to disable/enable classes/races that wouldn't fit into the module, so players can't create that kind of characters.

I hope that your financial situation will soon improve.
Marinx
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby itsdat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Whoa, what an update! I love the necro class design ideas [we've talked about the summoner in the previous update]. :)
November can't come soon enough! 8-)

BlueSalamander wrote: I wonder if I will have to pay the Steam self-publishing fee for each KotC 2 module, or just once?

Hmmm..I don't know. You should ask Valve about it.

BlueSalamander wrote:Now, a little bit about my personal life: I'm going through a difficult time financially. So I'm surviving just by eating roots - figuratively and literally: ginger and turmeric roots - and I am putting a whole lot of hope in the upcoming Kickstarter for KotC 2.

Damn...that sounds bad. :( However I am pretty sure, that KotC 2. can be very successful. Right after the KS launch you should invest some time in advertising. Example: Contact various online indie/rpg [or even general] gaming sites. [RPGWatch, RPG Codex, Game Jolt, IndieGames, Rock Paper Shotgun etc. etc.] 8-)
Last edited by itsdat on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
itsdat
Umber Hulk (CR 14)

Postby Sitra Achara » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:33 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:Hello Sitra Achara and getter77, thank you very much for your support and concern!

Sure, I can receive donations on my Paypal account: pierre_begue (at) yahoo.com. It's very kind of you and I really appreciate it. :)

All purchases and all donations really help.

I don't think I've ever received a donation directly to my Paypal account, so I'm not sure if Paypal would take the exact same fee as when someone buys from my website.

Done! Hope it helps. They took about 3.7% from what I can tell.
Good luck with the kickstarter and godspeed!
Sitra Achara
Kuo-toa (CR 2)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Postby screeg » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:43 pm

Hi Pierre. Very encouraging update! I know you said long ago that it will be easy for players to swap out the default character/creature tile set. The fact is, there is a lot of negative feedback about the portrait-based representation of characters.

Suggestion: have instructions on how to swap out an alternate set of character/creature images on release. Obviously, they won't be animated, but I personally would prefer static images of entire creatures with a transparency around them rather than the portraits.

Possibly, an alternate tile set based on creative commons licensed images could be made available on release day. If not, I'm sure people will quickly come up with their own image sets. If I have time, I may be able to provide a set myself.

Not trying to rain on your Heroic Fantasy efforts in getting this game done, but I think putting this option right out front will defuse criticism over your original art choice. :)
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby itsdat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:56 pm

screeg wrote:Hi Pierre. Very encouraging update! I know you said long ago that it will be easy for players to swap out the default character/creature tile set. The fact is, there is a lot of negative feedback about the portrait-based representation of characters.

Suggestion: have instructions on how to swap out an alternate set of character/creature images on release. Obviously, they won't be animated, but I personally would prefer static images of entire creatures with a transparency around them rather than the portraits.

Possibly, an alternate tile set based on creative commons licensed images could be made available on release day. If not, I'm sure people will quickly come up with their own image sets. If I have time, I may be able to provide a set myself.

Not trying to rain on your Heroic Fantasy efforts in getting this game done, but I think putting this option right out front will defuse criticism over your original art choice. :)

Eh? Personally I don't have a problem with the portrait-based token system. Btw you can easily replace the images AFAIK.
itsdat
Umber Hulk (CR 14)

Postby Demiath » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:19 pm

Thanks for the update, will definitely be supporting the Kickstarter campaign. If there's anyone who deserves crowd-funding success for an old school RPG, it's you. Heroic Fantasy Games championed CRPG revival long before it was cool (not to mention profitable) to do so...
Demiath
Marilith (CR 17)
Master of the Magic Lens
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Next

Return to Ideas for KotC 2