HI guys questions and Praise

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: HI guys questions and Praise

Postby getter77 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:47 am

Good to know about the random groups...that would keep things handy. As to the bonus dungeon notion, while this did strike me in part due to your nods to ADOM and my own ongoing fascination with Crawl: Stone Soup, I reckon there' s a middle ground of sorts where you could administer the flair but not to a degree of becoming a full fledged Roguelike.

You've already got a carefully, by all indications thus far, crafted campaign...so why not a bonus dungeon/gauntlet made of up the hardest/most varied aspects of the craft in the game thus far----something of a Gestalt dealie? The flair could come in little nods to Roguelikes that would make sense in whatever "special" circumstance would have this place/temporal rift/whatever.

I guess the core of my suggestion was to give thought to something to keep people on their toes and curious again after they beat through the main campaign with a given party.

With paypal, eh, I just don't feel like the hassle of dealing with a middleman, friends have had issues with them in the past, and so on. Just using a credit card online to do simple shopping without any other "entity" to bear in mind besides myself and the bank is pretty well my routine and one I suspect I can't be the only one to have. Established DDL services like Manifesto Games and such would be good for presentation, reaching out to potential customers, professional air within indieness, and so on. My experience with buying Kamyran's Eye 2 from Manifesto Games from a small company went swimmingly for instance.

-One other question: As to post release: How does the future of the game look to you? As in...content patches eventually, expansion packs, sequels---how does all that factor into where you'll endeavor to take the game dependent on sales, feedback, etc?
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:30 pm

Yes, it's very possible to put an extra dungeon location with challenges for a level 20 party... Such as, no way out (and no easy way to rest) until you reach the bottom, perhaps your equipment & gold could be taken away at the entrance, and some really big encounters, such as two balors and two huge dragons, or 8 level-20 wizards together. I agree that's a good idea for a content patch.

I will review the various options for payment. Thanks for mentioning Manifesto. How is Kamyran's Eye 2?

As you said, the future will depend on sales. Certainly if I go for a sequel I will take the opinion of players (buyers) into account. A sequel would have more player-character classes and races. It would be good to switch to a higher resolution and hand-drawn backgrounds (rather than tile-based) but that would be costly in time and money.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby getter77 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Unfortunately, I've not had the time, and surely have the backlog, to fully delve into Kamyran's Eye 2. However, the game is a rare beast in general. I mean, how many other commercial graphical PC Roguelikes can one really think of in this day and age, if not period? From what I did play, the dialog choices are actually quite nuanced and not so overt as to general stereotypical player archetypes, combat looks to easily have depth, and unusual events like entire towns being destroyed give it quite a charm. I actually got involved with a conversation with the development company where they relate that, among other things and as far as they can tell, game content in the form of hidden dungeons and the like still seem to have not yet been discovered by the player base of the game---which is quite stunning when you think about it in our modern computing age. There's a free demo and the publsher's website linked from Manifesto has a link to Kamyran's Eye 1 which was made freeware by them and self hosted by them awhile back now...so checking it out in your leisure time might do well for some fun if not inspirational tidbits.

Excellent to hear about consideration for post game content. An additional way to go about it, hopefully not instead and only if the game's pacing and such supported it, would be a simple New Game+ not unlike Diablo 2 and the like where you'd replay the main campaign from your clear save with all encounters being lvl 20 from the start to finish and such.

I've let some people I know be aware of this project and they have the highest of hopes and frothing demand to see this manifest into something truly excellent. There is much good that can come of sequels/expansions providing care and solid work ethic is observed and it is to be looked forward to once this initial game gets off the ground and well situated.
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Previous

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG