Small text font (see example)

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: Small text font

Postby Demiath » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:34 pm

My guess is that the people who really don't like the font take issue with both its resolution and its style. The only thing which bothers me personally is the TABLOIDESQUE CAPITAL LETTER FUNDAMENTALISM.
Demiath
Marilith (CR 17)
Master of the Magic Lens
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Advert

Postby WCG » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:54 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:So, is a "smoothing" of the font sufficient? Or do you think the font's style needs to be changed too?

Smoothing the font looks good to me. I think that would do it.
WCG
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice

Re: Small text font (see example)

Postby skavenhorde » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm reading about the silly font all over the place. To me it's fine just the way it is. It must be because I still replay the goldbox games and FRUA, but it really isn't that hard to read.
skavenhorde
Griffon (CR 4)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Pod » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:47 pm

I think the major problem people have is the serifness of it. A larger version of the help font would do fine, I imagine?
Pod
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Over » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:20 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:Okay as an example here is this:

At the top, you can see the text font in triple resolution. This is possible in windowed mode 960x720. In full screen mode, it will be double resolution instead.

So, is a "smoothing" of the font sufficient? Or do you think the font's style needs to be changed too?

Looks better like this.

BTW, do you still have the font you've used in earlier screenshots? Would it be possible to allow players to select the font they wanted in the main menu?
Over
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:42 pm

The blocky font I was using before is copyrighted, I think.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Emanresu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:56 pm

The serifs of the font, the similar looking shapes of the letters, and ALL CAPITALS gives me eyestrain when I try to read that text. I had the same problem when trying to play Darklands recently.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as this guy in that this game would be an instant purchase as soon as the font issue is resolved. You might consider looking at some digital typography tips and such...on computer screens, sans-serif fonts tend to be more legible and easier on the eyes.

Anyways, thanks for responding to the feedback on this and seriously looking into this issue. Hope to play the full game soon.
Emanresu
Kobold (CR 1/4)

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:06 pm

I will tell the artist to have a look at that site and to remove some of the "serifness"... Adding lower case characters would be a lot of trouble though. Hopefully that won't be necessary.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby xalles » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:35 am

I never had much trouble reading the current font, but the high-res version does look better I think. The font in this video is super easy to read. I swear I've seen that video's font in another game before...
What's with people who answer their own questions? I guess they're just stupid.
xalles
Fire Giant (CR 10)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby getter77 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:05 pm

The new DEAD is definitely a step in the right direction if nothing else, but yeah people do tend to flip out at all caps as well.
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

PreviousNext

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG