Mantis monk

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Mantis monk

Postby rpgguy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:40 am

Is there a reason to pick another race for a monk than a mantis? you ignore the "can't wear armor" penalty you get +10 speed +3 unarmed attacks per round and raking for grappling

When doing a flurry of blows Does the extra 3 claw attacks with a mantis do the monk class unarmed damage?
rpgguy
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Mantis monk

Advert

Re: Mantis monk

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:57 am

Hello there rpgguy and welcome! Yes, there are reasons for picking another race for a monk than a mantis. You might want to pick a race with high strength for high damage or a race with high dexterity or high wisdom for improved Armour Class. You might also pick a Drake for the Breath Weapon.

When doing a flurry of blows Does the extra 3 claw attacks with a mantis do the monk class unarmed damage?
I had to look at the code to find the answer. No, any extra natural attacks do their normal damage.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby rpgguy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:43 am

I see. Well that does make him more balanced.

How would the mantis extra arms work with a fighter? Can he use a shield + short sword + a two handed weapon?
rpgguy
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:31 am

Yes, if you have the feat Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting (available to Fighters and Gladiators), then your Mantis can use a shield, short sword and a two-handed weapon simultaneously.

If you don't have the feat, the Mantis can use a two-handed weapon or a shield + short sword(s).
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby rpgguy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:29 pm

"any extra natural attacks do their normal damage."

That is not what I currently see in the game, the mantis monk does his special unarmed damage with his natural attacks.
rpgguy
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:22 pm

Ah, my bad, thank you. But I suppose it's okay? Seeing as Monk is not among the top classes in terms of power.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Return to Ideas for KotC 2