Difficulty way, WAY, to high

This is the place to provide bug reports and suggestions about KotC 2 Augury of Chaos.

Postby Aequil » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:26 pm

Heya Salamander!
Been playing the game for a couple of hours now. I really like it, in theory, but in practice it's unplayable. Now, I'm used to 3,5 rules. That whas my introduction to RPGs. But this game? It's impossible if you don't metagame as hell. I've been studying the database for months before the games release, but i find the first Big Fight to be impossible. I've looked around, found some good gear in the adjacent rooms, but it's still impossible. Maybe I've missed some opportunity to rest and make my spell flingers usesfull again, but as it stands now, It's virtually impossible for anyone else than the creator.
Aequil
Griffon (CR 4)

Advert

Re: Difficulty way, WAY, to high

Postby Dromin » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:19 pm

Yeah, I'm finding it the same. It's impossible to win.
Dromin
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby rpgguy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:18 pm

You can change the difficulty to easy.
rpgguy
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby Aequil » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:14 am

rpgguy wrote:You can change the difficulty to easy.

Sadly, I've already tried changing the difficulty. Do you have any advice for how to win the fight?
Aequil
Griffon (CR 4)

Postby Pheneal » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:31 am

Well, tuning down the difficulty isnt the point, its more a design thinggy. Most encounters are fair. Some on the other hand are ...problematic.

If you go total munchkin - minmaxing the hell out of everything, the game is quite doable. Like a puzzle game. Play, fail, analyze, overcome. Some people like that. Some people even need that for their ego.

Other people dont like Int-4-Fighters. Well, Samurais in this case. Playing with balanced stats? Well, no. Why the hell should a Str-18 Barbarian be able to break down a door. You'll need 20 for that, took the wrong subrace, didnt you? Hitting a level 2 Party without proper equipment with a fireball and several hold-person spells a round while simultanesly buffing 8+ enemys with a haste spell all in the first round of combat cannot be overcome with a balanced party on the first try. Or the second.

As i said - as a puzzle game, yes, why not.
Does it feel epic storywise? No. Its more of an - okay, - how do i get the pathetic loosers not to die too horribly by knowing things they dont because i saw them persish on this very ocasion before.

Just my 2 cents here - but to enyoj it as an RPG in the tradition of toee the enconter-design isnt always doing the job.

Pheneal
Goblin (CR 1/3)
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Tiavals » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:06 am

If you speak of the fight in the temple chamber with the villain boss threathening the girl, you can tell him that you want to join him, thus skipping the fight(and the exp), and you get sent to the next area. The

As for the fight itself, it's tough, that's for sure. In my opinion you should take out the Evil Priestess that summons the Tentacled Horror first(whether by killing, or using status ailment spells or psi powers). The Wizards should be the second target, since they use Web and other annoyances. They're also easy to kill. After that it's the other clerics. Then, if possible, try to use Willpower Save spells against the barbarians(Berserk causing spells are perfect since they hit their friends after that).

I think leaving the lieutenant with the book(Pizarro?) for last is a good idea, since due to the Concealement and other things, she's really hard to kill with conventional means.

The assasins I find to be the least threathening.

Good luck!

PS I suggest using ALL of the items you have before and during the battle if needed, like Wands, the Scroll of Electric Sphere(works wonders against the enemy since they're immune to fire), and so on. Don't spare your resources, use them. You can use the Electric Sphere to take down the wizards for example. (That is, if you've found all the rich treasures that exist prior to the fight).
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Ragniz » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:08 am

Even lowering the difficulty you're usually facing higher level enemies, as in casters 2 levels above yours, with no concern for saving resources. So expect magic stone sniping your wounded, web/entangle pinning you in place (and you start in a blob), enemies with up to 3 attacks and overtuned summons (I've met a dude summoning a ghoul with 3 attacks per round and 60something HP while my party was at level 2).
There is a reason why most D&D games sparingly use enemy spell casters but here half the encounter are low HP mooks to slow you down and high level casters raining down spells on you nonstop, if it was 1 or 2 casters per combat you could snipe them early but there are too many and lowering the difficulty won't help you deal with their crowd control anyway.
Ragniz
Lizardman (CR 1)

Postby Dromin » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:17 pm

I finally won, then the game crashed. lol

I'm gonna try again if it's repeatable, I'll report it as a bug.
Dromin
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby jms123 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:02 am

I've been stubbornly bashing my head against that battle for a while now. I probably should either lower the difficulty, choose an alternate solution, or restart with a different party composition since I definitely made some mistakes there, but I guess I'm too stubborn. So far overall I'd say it seems to be tougher than I remember KOTC 1 being.
jms123
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Sock » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:15 am

I made it past that fight, but shortly after is nothing but slaughter. What the hell? I am feeling completely demoralized by this game.
Sock
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Next

Return to About the KotC 2 Augury of Chaos cRPG