1.44 bug? characters gone

This is the place to provide bug reports and suggestions about KotC 2 Augury of Chaos.

Postby MrLicorice » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:49 pm

The changes made to the party creation screen in 1.44 seem to have misplaced all my previously created characters. So the character list is now empty. This did not affect the pre-gen characters, only the ones I created.
MrLicorice
Griffon (CR 4)

Advert

Re: 1.44 bug? characters gone

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:40 pm

Hello MrLicorice, thank you for the report. Please, which version is this, Windows or macOS? Steam, GOG, or direct download?

Best regards :)
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby MrLicorice » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:45 pm

GOG (via GOG galaxy, Windows)

Thank you :)
MrLicorice
Griffon (CR 4)

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:49 pm

My apologies for the characters disappearing. (Thought I would protect the player's file with this update :oops: )

If you create a new character, then close the game, then relaunch the game, is your new character available?
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby MrLicorice » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:59 pm

All the characters that I created after 1.44 patch are still here when closing and rebooting the game. The characters from earlier versions are gone.
MrLicorice
Griffon (CR 4)

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:29 pm

Right, I've just tested it on GOG and Steam. It also removed my CharacterRoster file both on GOG and Steam.

I guess the updater sees that the new version has no CharacterRoster file in the Saves folder, while the previous version had one, so it deletes it.

I'll have to make sure it doesn't happen in future versions. Hopefully, the updater won't get the idea to always remove the CharacterRoster file, which is no longer part of the game files now.

Your CharacterRoster file can be found there: C:/Program Files (x86)/GOG Galaxy/Games/Knights of the Chalice 2/Saves/CharacterRoster.cml

The path with the Steam version is C:\Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Knights of the Chalice 2/Saves/CharacterRoster.cml

You can make a safety copy of that file once you have a bunch of characters. That way you'll have a backup file in the future. Anyone who hasn't installed 1.44 yet can also create a backup copy of the file (and then rename it to CharacterRoster.cml after installing 1.44).

If you have saved games containing your characters, you can open those saved games and then click on 'export characters' from the menu in the top-left corner of the screen. Then those characters will be exported to your CharacterRoster file and they will be available when you go back to the Party Creation screen.

Installing 1.44 from the direct download shouldn't touch your CharacterRoster file.

Thank you! Again, my apologies for this problem.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby MrLicorice » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:21 pm

thank you BlueSalamander for the quick reply. No worries though, character creation is my favorite part of a cRPG. Where people see loss, I see an opportunity to create new characters.
MrLicorice
Griffon (CR 4)

Return to About the KotC 2 Augury of Chaos cRPG